Simple Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
The success of a chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe depends on whisking as much air as possible into the batter. Whisking the eggs gives the cake the volume. Using an electric mixer will help tremendously.
Once the egg mixture is beaten a consistency of light, fluffy and stiff, the dry ingredients will be folded in evenly at low speed. The best is put the batter into the oven immediately to prevent losing its volume.
Sponge cake uses very little fat and therefore may seem dry and unappealing. To add in the moist, use it to layer with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, fruits, syrup or roll it with jam.
4 large eggs (separate white from yolk)
240 gm White Sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder (sifted)
1/4 cup Milk
1 tbsp honey
30 gm Butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 cup whipping cream
120 gm Self-raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp cornflour
- Pour cocoa, milk, honey and butter into pan and stir over low heat till well blended. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peak is formed.
- Gradually beat in sugar, beating well after each addition until sugar is dissolved.
- Add one egg yolk at a time, beating until well combined. Add vanilla essence.
- Gently fold in sifted dry ingredients.
- Bring the cocoa mixture to boil. Remove from heat and fold into egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into two greased 20cm cake pans.
- Bake at 180° C for 20-25minutes.
- When cold, sandwich with whipped cream and fruits such as sliced kiwi, orange and strawberries.
You like this cake? You will like these recipes.
Rich Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Return from chocolate sponge cake recipe to more chocolate recipes